Skip to main content
Question
Lynna SutherlandAdmin
Community Leader
Asked a question 2 years ago

I know we're still working through our current Book Chat, but I'm planning for the future. I'd love to know what you prefer for Book Chat content:

Laney Homan Admin
I think the alternate plan is a good balance. However, I really just like to read and discuss books. So, I am not really picky. :) If others have a strong preference, I am good to just go with it.
Rachel Aytes SOS Grad
I agree with Laney. I'm not picky. I'm sad to say I've gotten pretty far behind on Watership Down. I think I'm needing more sleep lately, which cuts into my nighttime reading. :( But I do love discussing with you lovely ladies and hope to participate more fully next time.
Lynna Sutherland Admin
Rachel Aytes I've discovered the same thing, too. Since quarantine, I need more sleep. Anxiety, maybe?
Rachel Aytes SOS Grad
Lynna Sutherland I'm sure that's a factor.
Lynna Sutherland Admin
Jennifer when we're done with Watership Down I'll be running another SOS Sprint, so we'll take a little break from Book Chats. That should give you some breathing room to finish up!
Lynna Sutherland Admin
Here's one thought I've been chewing on ... with our quesiton-a-day setup, our book discussion is distinctly different from your traditional in-person book club. We don't really have a way to talk about the book as a whole - themes, favorite characters, etc. Wondering if it would make sense to do a certain section of chapters each week with questions along the way, and then one week of whole-book discussion? Or perhaps even offer a live video chat for whole-book discussion? Seems like it would be lovely to have an overview/summary conversation at some point. Thoughts? Laney Homan Rachel Aytes Jennifer Lisa A ?
Lynna Sutherland Admin
Jennifer Yea, I don't want to do away with those. Just thought we should wrap in some whole-book discussion!
Rachel Aytes SOS Grad
I like the idea of an end of book chat.
Laney Homan Admin
I also love that idea of an end of book chat. And the only reason I am caught up on Watership Doen is because I have been listening to the audio on 1.75 speed. 🤣🤣 I am enjoying it and am really glad we picked this one. It has been on my list for a long long time.
Lisa A SOS Grad
I like the idea of an end of book discussion. I feel like non- fiction is easier to discuss than fiction sometimes. But there are some fiction books that lend themselves well to discussion.
Lisa A SOS Grad
I forgot to say i find it more difficult to keep up with daily discussion questions. I don't necessarily read the same sections that are posted about on the particular day and if I have several to catch up on I tend not to comment as much.
Lynna Sutherland Admin
Lisa A I understand. I tend to read in fits and spurts. A whole bunch one day ... and then none for a few days. I'm open to any suggestions or alternatives you think would be helpful.
Lisa A SOS Grad
Lynna Sutherland I think a weekly thread would be easier to keep to keep up with for me, but if everybody else likes the daily posts, don't change anything on my account 🙂
Jessica SOS Grad
Love the alternating and the idea of an end of book chat (although I may not be able to attend because my schedule is not very community friendly, lol).
And thankful for some catch up time before the next book! I'm running behind too. It seems as far as a read aloud, I get a max of 3 chapters (sometimes only one) with fair attention, so we are waaayyy behind 😉 the kids are loving it tho & I'm so glad to be reading it with them ❤ also thankful this one is in internet archive- Libby's 3 week limit didn't get us far, lol!
Lynna Sutherland Admin
Jennifer Rachel Aytes Laney Homan Jessica do you have any opinions on a daily discussion questions vs a weekly discussion thread?
Laney Homan Admin
Lynna Sutherland , it sort of depends on the book. Fiction would work better for the weekly chat. I tend to consume more in one chunk, doing most of my reading on the weekend.
Non fiction I tend to read more slowly. A chapter a day pace. So the discussions are easier on a daily basis.
Lynna Sutherland Admin
So maybe with fiction, we have a weekly discussion thread where folks can come and share their thoughts on that section, plot, characters, ideas, etc. But then with non-fiction, we can have a question per chapter? Something like that?
Jessica SOS Grad
I'm open to either. I do tend to read in spurts as well, but the frequent questions also help serve as a reminder/encouragement to keep on track

Where am I?

In Sibling Relationship Lab Partners you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Related Questions

No related questions.

Question Stats

157 view
1 follower
Asked a question 2 years ago
Views this month